Friday 16 November 2007

Influential Music

I was asked by Princess Sarah Wife to write about the most first song that kindled my love of music.

The first piece of music that really engaged me was the Dr Who theme tune by Ron Grainer. The show was essential viewing for a child of the seventies with Tom Baker, Jon Pertwee and the BBC Radiophonic Workshop making a low budget sci-fi TV show into something truly enthralling. My anticipation of each episode was full of excitement and also fear, and the theme tune with it's surrealistic title sequence just enhanced the emotions, as my brother and I hid in the clichéd location behind the sofa . The tune has a raw simple electronic feel, as it opens with rhythmic heart pounding pulses. This gradually transmutes into a throbbing melody, before the wail of the main melody whips through the whole thing on another level completely. During the closing titles there was also an extra treat where a bridge brings in a new melody in an truly uplifting medieval style.

Is their any wonder that I grew up with a love for electronic and instrumental music? They can go and stuff their new orchestral version, it's lost all it's machine soul!

3 comments:

Princess Sarah said...

Wow, you must play me the original version one day. I only know the new one and Orbital version.

Incidentally, where do you stand on the Orbital version? It is surely done on a machine, but is that ok if it's Orbital?

Thank you for sharing, Pobotrol Fish Husband.

Martha said...

I can relate to the feeling you get hearing it. Makes my stomach all fluttery and I prepare to be scared. It must been one of the most sinister pieces of music ever. I never found the daleks particularly scary - it was the cyber men that really frightened me. Actually, it was probably the doctor that was the most scary - my era was Sylvester McCoy. My mum once saw him in the nip.

Pobol Pobotrol said...

The Orbital version is cool, because it uses the same sounds and structures, but takes it strange new places. But I don't think that it has the bridge in it.

Doctor In The Tardis by the Timelords was cool too!

Sylvester McCoy was almost good after Colin Baker and the one from All Creatures Great and Small, but he clowned too much. And we had to put up with Sophie Aldred as "Ace".... shudder...